How to test direct upload

Hi all,

I noticed that in Shrine Testing Guide, there is no mention to testing direct upload.
I wonder if it’s the best practice to upload a file before testing.
I’d like to do unit test of server side (more specifically, a form object that accepts files from direct upload), not acceptance test.

You can test it by uploading to cache directory and passing uploaded file data to the attachment attribute, e.g:

cached_file = FileUploader.upload(some_file, :cache)
record.attachment = cached_file.to_json

It worked, thanks!
I found it helpful to have this in documentation. If you agree, I’m happy to send a PR!

Yes, please send one :+1:

Hi, uploading to cache directly worked with FileSystem storage, but didn’t work with Memory storage.
More specifically, when assigning a JSON of a cache file to a ActiveRecord model, I got an error like below:

Shrine::FileNotFound:
        file "a20db4b853eaee20d7610580c88e9e37.png" not found on storage
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/storage/memory.rb:28:in `rescue in open'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/storage/memory.rb:21:in `open'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/uploaded_file.rb:265:in `_open'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/uploaded_file.rb:93:in `open'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/plugins/refresh_metadata.rb:16:in `refresh_metadata!'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/plugins/restore_cached_data.rb:21:in `cached'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/attacher.rb:97:in `attach_cached'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/attacher.rb:77:in `assign'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/plugins/rack_file.rb:31:in `assign'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/plugins/model.rb:114:in `model_assign'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/plugins/model.rb:41:in `block in define_model_methods'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/activemodel-6.0.3.4/lib/active_model/attribute_assignment.rb:50:in `public_send'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/activemodel-6.0.3.4/lib/active_model/attribute_assignment.rb:50:in `_assign_attribute'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/activemodel-6.0.3.4/lib/active_model/attribute_assignment.rb:43:in `block in _assign_attributes'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/activemodel-6.0.3.4/lib/active_model/attribute_assignment.rb:42:in `each'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/activemodel-6.0.3.4/lib/active_model/attribute_assignment.rb:42:in `_assign_attributes'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/activerecord-6.0.3.4/lib/active_record/attribute_assignment.rb:21:in `_assign_attributes'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/activemodel-6.0.3.4/lib/active_model/attribute_assignment.rb:35:in `assign_attributes'
      # ./app/forms/profile_registration_forms/user_form.rb:128:in `assign_attributes_to_profile'
      # ./app/forms/profile_registration_forms/user_form.rb:67:in `save'
      # ./spec/forms/profile_registration_forms/user_form_spec.rb:82:in `block (4 levels) in <top (required)>'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/rspec-retry-0.6.2/lib/rspec/retry.rb:124:in `block in run'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/rspec-retry-0.6.2/lib/rspec/retry.rb:110:in `loop'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/rspec-retry-0.6.2/lib/rspec/retry.rb:110:in `run'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/rspec-retry-0.6.2/lib/rspec_ext/rspec_ext.rb:12:in `run_with_retry'
      # /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/rspec-retry-0.6.2/lib/rspec/retry.rb:37:in `block (2 levels) in setup'
      # ------------------
      # --- Caused by: ---
      # KeyError:
      #   key not found: "a20db4b853eaee20d7610580c88e9e37.png"
      #   /Users/okuramasafumi/.gem/ruby/2.6.6/gems/shrine-3.3.0/lib/shrine/storage/memory.rb:24:in `fetch'

Here’s the list of plugins used here:

• activerecord
  • derivatives
  • backgrounding
  • determine_mime_type
  • cached_attachment_data
  • restore_cached_data

If this is a known issue, I’ll add a note to the documentation.
If not, I’d like to know if it’s by design or intentional.
I’m not very happy with using minio for testing because of setup effort…